Step back in time, into a Wizard of Oz fairy tale of lions, tigers and monkeys oh my! Good for more than just monkeys, the monkey forest is huge and beautiful. You wander through twists and turns of vine covered trees and hanging bridges, with monkeys swinging around, their babies clinging tight to them.
The monkey forest is a must do while you are in Bali, but you must be smart when you go. On my trip to the magical forest, someone got bit, and someone ended up getting a pearl earring stolen. So while this is a fun activity for everyone on their trip to Bali, you should go prepared and go smart.
Step 1: Getting Prepared
Before going to said monkey forest, one should dress appropriately. This means so fancy jewels. Leave behind your earrings, necklaces and bracelets. If a monkey can yank it, it is best left behind. Wear comfy clothes that you don’t mind getting smashed bananas on because it’ll happen, regardless of your wishes. Speaking of messy clothes, I brought a change of clothes to wear afterwards, for the rest of my day. Next, tuck your hats and sunglasses away. Chuck them in your bag, or just leave them in the car because monkeys will shameless steal everything you own. Lastly, get that camera charged up for the occasion. You are not going to want to miss all the cute picture opportunities.
Step 2: When to go
I find the best time to go is first thing in the morning. We went early and there was not a single person there. When we drove by later that afternoon, it was packed! Another tip is to try going through the back entrance. Believe me, if you ask your driver or any local, they’ll know what you mean. It also tends to be a lot less crowded than the main entrance.
Step 3: Follow the rules
- The monkey forest has tons of staff and tons of rules in place to help keep you safe while visiting. Some of the rules they have in place are:
- Don’t make eye contact with the monkeys, just don’t. It will agitate them so it is best avoided.
- Don’t get close to the babies. They are the cutest things in the world, but they do have the most protective mama’s so you are best just keeping your distance. Get a good zoom lens, trust me, you’ll still get great photos.
- When you get your bananas, keep a worker close to you and they will help you with all things monkey, including getting the best pictures. They will attract a good monkey to you, scare off the big ones and help to keep you safe.
- Keep your hands open, you don’t want to make the monkeys think you have food when you don’t and don’t try to fool them with empty banana peels. They are much smarter than that.
- The last rule of the monkey forest is to have fun!! Get out there and get some monkey cuddles.
Step 4: Have a ball!
The monkey forest is a lot of fun! I definitely recommend going because it is a cool experience, and if I can’t convince you then maybe my photos will!! It’s a magical monkey paradise.
Follow along the rest of my adventures living in Bali!! If you have any specific content that you want me write about, send me an email and I’ll see what I can do!